Monday, January 14, 2013

Hello from Chichester

Good morning everybody! It is snowing here in Chichester. Snow always brings good things! The last time it snowed on my mission, four investigators defied all odds and trekked out to sacrament meeting. We shall see what this day has in store! We are going to the Isle of Wight for our PDay today, so I'm REALLY excited. We are taking a hovercraft there. Look it up and check out what that is. There are no roads to the Isle of Wight, so the only way there is by water. We are meeting up with the Isle of Wight sisters and the Elders from Hamble River and Portsmouth.
 Isle of Wight Hotels
The work is moving forward at an unprecedented pace here in Chichester. I absolutely love serving here. We have committed another one of our investigators to be baptized on the second and are working closely with about five others and hopefully will be committing them this week to be baptized around that time.
 
Those who know me well know that I love numbers. No, not math... those who know me well also know that I HATE math and am absolutely terrible at it. BUT when I watch sports, I care about the numbers almost as much as I do about the game itself. I LOVE keeping track of stats and seeing how many wins a certain team is on pace for, things like that. When I played NBA 2K12, it got to the point where I didn't even care if I won (I knew I would win anyways) but I would play just to see how ridiculously high I could get John Wall's stats. If I won by 40, and John Wall didn't have 40 points and 20 assists, I would be legitimately disappointed. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that I sometimes focus on numbers too much, when the results of the numbers is what I should ACTUALLY be caring about. The same principle applies to missionary work. Now, in Trowbridge, we were baptizing enough that I didn't really care about high numbers in the rest of our key indicators. I did a good job not striving for high numbers. Things changed a bit when I got here. I starting obsessing over how many teaches we would have a week. It got a bit ridiculous. Since we were REALLY struggling to find people to baptize and since we were out finding all day, the way I motivated myself was to try and teach as many lessons as possible. When I got like this, I got over-competitive and was NOT receptive to the Holy Ghost. The last few weeks, however, I learned a lesson. If I take a step back, forget about the numbers, and just focus on people, individuals and their corresponding needs, we would achieve MUCH more succes. Sure, we might have taught way less the few weeks, but when it comes to the things that ACTUALLY matter (people coming to church, progressing towards baptism) we were able to push the work forward with power. Sometimes, we all need to take a step back, chill the heck out, and just do our best. This principle reminds me of President Uchtdorf's talk "Lift Where You Stand". If we just do what we need to do, and do it obediently, then the Lord will fill in the blanks.
 
Love you all, hope this week is simply wonderful!
 
-Elder Frederickson

No comments:

Post a Comment