Monday, August 6, 2012

First Transfer - on the books

Hello everyone! It is the begginning of another great week in Trowbridge. Happy birthday to Michael and Joey. I am sure that the Deep Creek celebrations for both were as marvelous as they always are.
 
It should come as no surprise that the Olympics are the buzz of England right now. We have been given permission to watch the Olympics, so long as it does not interfere with our proselyting efforts (so we can watch them whilst visiting members.) Excitement was especially evident on Saturday night. Luckily, we were able to watch Jessica Ennis (that's her name, right?) win her gold medal. We were also able to see that British guy who (Elder von Allmen and I could not help but note) looks EXACTLY like Neil Patrick Harris aka Barney Stinson. Could that be considered a tender mercy? I don't see why not! Regardless, it was such a priveledge to be able to watch several Olympic events this week.
 
We were also able to visit the       family twice this week. Their coming back to church is truly a miracle. Niki then asked me to give her a blessing which, given her extreme circumstances, was VERY scary... especially because I thought that she would ask Elder von Allmen. I had about... one minute of mental preparation. We had been fasting since the previous night and we both had the spirit, but I was nervous nonetheless. I said a quick prayer and just said what came to my heart. It was such a marvelous experience. I know the words I spoke were not my own. I hardly remember what I said. But I know it was exactly what I was supposed to say. What a powerful experience. She now wants us to give blessings to both her children some time this week.
 
One thing we have also tried over the past week or so is basketball contacting. Every few days, we go to the courts at the park and play with whoever is there. We now have a group of six or seven Yugoslavians that regularly invite us to play with them. Several are coming to the church to play with us on Wednesday. It's a fantastic finding tool, they ask all sorts of questions about the church, missionary work, and why we do what we do. These are people that we could nto have found any other way. I am so excited to see what happens with them. 
 
I also was able to go on exchange in Bath once again last Tuesday and Wednesday. I love being able to work with Elder Perry. He is such a great example to me and an incredible District Leader. Bath is also a pretty cool place as well. I cannot imagine a flat with a better view than the one in Bath! So cool.
 
I again feel the need to express my endless gratitude that I am seriving in Trowbridge. The ward gets more and more supportive by the week. I am so happy I am here and hope I get to stay here for a long time. It's so hard to believe that I'll have been out two months tomorrow! The time really flies, doesn't it? It feels like I just reported to the MTC.
 
To those reading this, I'd like to say the following: the Book of Mormon is true and it was translated by the power of God as given to the Prophet Joseph Smith. Christ's church was restored through him. If those things were not true, I would not be out here doing this. I just wouldn't be. If you take the simple steps of reading the Book of Mormon and praying to know if it's true, you can come to this same knowledge. I pray that each and everyone of you do this, whether it be for the first or fiftieth time.
 
With love,
Elder Frederickson
 

1 comment:

  1. I love Mondays and reading these inspiring letters. I am going to start the Book of Mormon again as I, too, know it is the word of God and I do love to read it.

    ReplyDelete