Monday, September 23, 2013

Good Morning!

Dear family and friends,

The work pushes onward in Worthing, as it does. Our investigator is doing amazing. We taught her about family history and has already dived into it, now trying to access some sort of census so she can find her great-great-great grandmother. I don't think I could name any ancestors beyond a couple of great grandparents! That is quite impressive.
 
Our other investigator is amazing. I've never taught anyone so prepared for baptism. She came to church yesterday, despite her fellowshippers not being there and despite the sting of adversity that is so typical for someone preparing for baptism. She is a kingdom builder, who will do great things in the service of God.
  
And we have an investigator who is ready for baptism. She mentioned that if it can't be October 12th, that she wants it to be this Saturday. We'll see, whatever happens, it will be for the best.

Everything is great. The District is doing wonderful. A big focus this week in our district is getting the members out working with us. I've always been a big time believer that the members need to TRUST you and LOVE you before any sort of referral can be discussed. I've found that the latter is simple enough, just being genuine and loving to everyone promotes a spirit of love. Trust, however, can be a bit tricky. I've found that the best way to earn trust is to literally work shoulder to shoulder with the members. Get them out working with you, no matter what you're doing. Working hard, together. These are the values I feel need to be instilled in those I have been given this sacred stewardship over. I'm encouraging the district to do this and we're doing all we can over here in Worthing to "practice what we preach."

Other highlights of the week included a lunch at Interwok, a medium-quality Chinese buffet with high-quality company, several miracles pertaining to the people discussed above, and a little bit of rain to keep things interesting.

On a more reverent and serious note, I'd like to take a short moment to remember my good friend Peter Maughan, who passed away last week. Though the time that I knew him was relatively short (he lived on my hall at BYU) he was an amazing friend. I literally never saw him without a smile on his face. He was bold, but not over bearing... confident, but not cocky. He was so kind ; he would never judge a soul, and it would have very easy to have judged me. He was inclusive, he always tried to make sure everyone was happy and loved. Although it was hard to hear of his passing, I know that someday, if I prove worthy, I will see him again. I know this, because I have asked my Eternal Father and he has confirmed this to me by the power of the Holy Ghost. How grateful I am for the peace that this gospel brings. It is true. Please keep his family in your prayers this week.

I love you all and pray for as many of you as I can each day,
Elder Frederickson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment